RIP Robert Altman

Damn... Just heard about Bob Altman's passing. (Only last week I'd been blathering here re 3 Women.) His recent work was awfully spotty, but his best? Sublime, or at least genuinely irritating. Both sides of the same gnarled, acid-etched coin.

I remember running into Kim Gordon at an early NYC screening of the director's lamentable Prêt-à-Porter. Simultaneously we yalped "What are you doing here?"

(I'm certain everyone was asking some variation of that afterwards...)

Yeah, wish I'd given those eight clams to charity, but I'm happy to have paid limpid trust fund ducats to peep the good ones. (Fuck, I even saw Quintet, H.E.A.L.T.H., and Images! First-run, yet.) Didn't have it in me to view much of his post-70s ouevre, nor did I possess the fortitude to wade through the becalmed tide of NPR homunculi who gamely queued for A Prairie Home Companion. (My loss, most likely.) Still and all, good sir, you did well.

Sleep peacefully.

---



(Above, a Yugoslav one-sheet for 3 Women. Below, the poster for Altman's teen-exploit demi-wonder The Delinquents...)

Comments

Popular Posts