R.I.P. Lol Coxhill...

Requiescat in pace: Lol Coxhill.

An extraordinary talent.

Backstory: Well before punk (1973, when I was but 17) I was reading the (sluggish but accidentally illuminating) English music weekly Melody Maker - a tiny bookseller in Moultrie, Georgia supplied my habit. Richard Branson's early, adventurous Virgin label (and their even more adroit offshoot imprint, Caroline) advertised in the MM, and through those cheekily informative blocks of text I found out about Canterbury effluvia, "Krautrock", etc. Nowhere to buy those albums near my home, however - I had to drive 80 miles to Tallahassee and order them from the long-gone Record Co-Op. One of the first albums I snapped up from the Virgin/Caroline back catalog was Coxhill/Miller/Miller/Coxhill, the first duo outing from pianist Steve Miller (no relation to the "Jet Airliner" dude) and Herr Coxhill. (Pretty sure I have the alb lying around somewhere back in the States.) My mind was as blown as the first time Hans Van Brackle played Sun Ra's Heliocentric Worlds for me (when I was but 14). Lol was a titan, and his presence will be felt for a very long time by superior aesthetes and fellow travelers in the know...

Comments

Popular Posts